Aug 252014
1 month, 28 days ago

If you are running postfix/dovecot using the server app on OSX 10.8.x and want to implement the markasjunk2 plugin for roundcube, allow me to save you hours of frustration…  Here are the settings that worked for me.

Assuming you intent to use sa-learn to update the Bayesian filter when using the plugin, modify as follows:

Set plugin to use cmd_learn driver:$rcmail_config['markasjunk2_learning_driver'] = cmd_learn;


$rcmail_config['markasjunk2_learning_driver'] = cmd_learn;

Set spam option for learn driver:$rcmail_config['markasjunk2_spam_cmd'] = 'sudo /Applications/  --spam %f';

$rcmail_config['markasjunk2_spam_cmd'] = ‘sudo /Applications/  –spam %f’;

Set ham options for learn driver:

$rcmail_config['markasjunk2_ham_cmd'] = 'sudo /Applications/ --ham %f';

$rcmail_config['markasjunk2_ham_cmd'] = ‘sudo /Applications/ –ham %f’;

If you want to see it in action, be sure to turn on logging:$rcmail_config['markasjunk2_debug'] = true;


$rcmail_config['markasjunk2_debug'] = true;

In order for roundcube to call sa-learn with access permission to spamassassin database, it is necessary to update the sudoers file.

Open terminal and type:  sudo visudo

Screen Shot 2014-08-25 at 10.28.51 AM

(homebrew is so much easier on the eyes)


Once in the sudoers file, add the following line:

Screen Shot 2014-08-25 at 10.05.50 AM




_www ALL=(root) NOPASSWD:/Applications/

After you have added the changes,  save your changes -   ‘:’  brings up menu and ‘w’ to write changes.  Then ‘:’  and ‘q’ to quit (I prefer nano to vim, but supposedly there is some voodoo about changing the sudoers file in an unsafe manner and you’ll shoot your eye out.. blah blah blah.

Open roundcube inbox, and mash the junk button, and see the results in the log file:

displayed at bottom of roundcube interface


learned some tokens!

Here are some good references (without which, I’d have never gotten this working):


 Posted by at 10:51 am
Mar 132014
7 months, 9 days ago
RF Shall Not Pass

Though I wouldn’t consider myself an expert in wireless networking, I’ve completed a number of projects that required the deployment of wireless access points, bridges, and repeaters.  I’m familiar with the setup and deployment of universal repeaters and the use of custom firmware such as DD-WRT.  I’ve witnessed the effects of environmental factors from building materials, RF interference, proximity and elevation relative to connecting devices and also misaligned directional antenna and

broken connections in the antenna array.

What I had not seen before was something so obvious, it had never occurred to me:  The affect of human bodies on wireless signal propagation.  You often hear about studies which attempt to prove or disprove the effect that radio  has on living tissue – hold your cell phone at least one inch from your ear (yeah, right).

In the midst of an important presentation, where the presenter was to use the wi-fi to put a presentation wireless signal all but disappeared. I had a technical issue with microphone feedback the previous year, so I was really not looking forward to any technical glitches. The technical failure resulted in a poor presentation which reflected poorly on our vendor. Something seemingly so easy to manage created an immediate crisis when it failed. I did not anticipate the need for a hot spare any more than I had foreseen the environmental effect of human bodies on wi-fi access.

Makes you think about where all that radio energy is going. Needless to say, there will be some high gain antenna arrays (and spares) available for 2014.

Now I just need to find an AV guy…



 Posted by at 9:28 pm
Oct 242013
11 months, 29 days ago

So Mavericks Server really made a mess in upgrading my Mac Mini from Mountain Lion.  In the end, the Mavericks upgrade went well.  Trouble began with installation of Server 3.  About half way through ‘updating data’ the system would hang, and then get stuck in the old grey screen of death loop.  Fixing permissions on the system folder solved the boot issue.  Re-run server install, and bang!  Same issue.  Since I only care about the websites, I fixed the permissions again, then renamed the server folder.  Created a new server folder and copied in the contents of my existing web folder.  This time the installer completed (without fragging permissions), and successfully migrated my data… assuming you’re reading this.  I’ll worry about what it got hung up on later… or never.  After all, it’s an OS migration.  Didn’t expect it to be flawless.

 Posted by at 11:37 am